The Lyndhurst Historical Society is a private, not-for-profit organization dedicated to the preservation of local historical sites and the promotion of community pride in our history and traditions.

The Little Red Schoolhouse as it appears today.

The Lyndhurst Historical Society was established in 1984 in an effort to preserve the 1893 schoolhouse, located at 400 Riverside Avenue, on the corner of Fern Avenue, in Lyndhurst, NJ.

The Society was formed with a promise to the Township Commissioners that the Society would raise the money to restore the building if the Township would take ownership from the Board of Education. The Society raised $100,000 over a four-year period, restored the school, and began using the building as a museum on a lease from the Township of Lyndhurst.